L.A. Girl Matte Pigment Gloss review and swatches



Let me start with this: I like these, but what on Earth is a MATTE GLOSS?
I don't know what the person who named these was smoking, but I can definitively say that matte glosses don't exist and these are in fact matte liquid lipsticks.  Quite good ones, actually, despite the name confusion.



I bought 5 different colours, and I'm honestly pretty pleased with all of them.  Some are harder to apply than others (I'm looking at you, black currant) but for the price they are a great option for those of you looking for a cheaper way to satisfy your liquid lipstick needs. I got them from BeautyJoint.com where they were $4 USD each. I have seen these being advertised for sale in NZ where I think they're going for about $9 NZD each, which is still very reasonable for a liquid lipstick.

Most of these colours are dupeable, they aren't as unique as some of the Anastasia liquid lipsticks for example. I speak from experience - I have a problem with buying the same lip colours over and over again and already have about 3 versions of Dreamy, but due to their price this isn't really a worry.

Overall rating: 7.5/10

Packaging: 8/10 - Thick, plastic tube with a nice thin-edged doefoot application. Seems sturdy and the generic labelling is printed onto the tube which is classier than it being a sticker.  Colours show true in the tube.

Application: 7/10 - Varies slightly between colours, some are more opaque than others. Generally the formula is quite thin, wouldn't recommend applying more than two coats otherwise it can get a bit chunky (you know what I mean).

Wear: 7/10 - Long wearing, does need some touching up after eating.  They recommend removing with an oil-based makeup remover, can confirm that micellar water doesn't budge it but my trusty Johnson's makeup remover wipes can get it off pretty easily (I have no idea if these are oil-based). Quite drying, but that could be due to the fact my lips are like the Sahara desert.  I tried wearing lip balm underneath which was better, although it did leave it a bit sticky on my lips.  No more drying than other liquid lipsticks I own.

On with the swatches!

L.A. Girl Matte Lipgloss - Dreamy
Dreamy is nice, but as I said, I already have 3 other versions of it. It's not a favourite, but it's definitely a good nude.

L.A. Girl Matte Lipgloss - Fleur

I bought this solely based on the fact it looked like a fly nude-ish colour on Kathleenlights, but on me let's be honest... it's straight up orange.  That being said, still quite a nice colour, just not right for the fact it's currently winter.  I'll bring this one back once it gets a bit warmer.

L.A. Girl Matte Lipgloss - Bazaar
This is possibly my favourite.  When I first tried this one on I was like "WHY did I buy this" because I'm not big on true pinks, but it has grown on me and I think it applies the easiest/best out of the lot.

L.A. Girl Matte Lipgloss - Rebel
Also possibly my favourite. This one is slightly patchy but not too bad with some patience. Another one that resembles other colours in my collection but all I want for winter is a deep berry lip so this is perfect.

L.A. Girl Matte Lipgloss - Black Currant
I was warned but I didn't listen... Black Currant is patchy as hell.  The swatch is an accurate representation of applying this when your lips are grumpy and it's very dark in your room, so I would recommend good lighting and adequate time to pull this one off.  I'll definitely persevere with it because I love the colour so I hope I can get it looking good enough to wear outside the house.

And here's a cute (awkward) collage of all the swatches compared to the colour in the tubes:

So there we go, my first proper blog post! Thanks for sticking with me if you made it all the way down here ;) Feel free to ask any questions/give any constructive criticism in the comments.

Peace out xo

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment